Remove this ad

countdacash

rookie botter

Lead

April 26, 2013 07:38:23

Tags : :

Hi,

Raspberry Pi computer board intended for education is around £30. Runs Linux, Python built in and very low power. Sounds ideal for an unattended home bot if Linux and Python are your bag of course. I bought a couple 6 months ago but still in the drawer at the moment waiting for some spare time!

Richard

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

fred77

Botting Guru

#1 [url]

April 26, 2013 16:36:32

Out of interest I bought a cheap pogoplug (pink) device last year, it was designed to be a home/cloud sharing device but it's easy to hack and install any flavour linux, then use it as a headless server.

I did consider the Raspberry Pi, however at the time its price was still high (unless you were prepared to wait). Although the pogoplug doesn't have video output (or any other outputs for that matter) it has one main advantage over the Pi, it has a case, and a built-in power supply.

Anyway, I got it going alright, installed debian and had it running some test bots. But then I got bored with it and it's been back in its box ever since ! 

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#2 [url]

April 27, 2013 17:14:58

I think the Raspberry Pi and similar devices are interesting projects but I'd rather use a VPS and not worry about hardware, maintenance, ISPs, bandwidth, etc.

PS...good to see you're still lurking Fred! How are your bots going? PM or email me!

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

fred77

Botting Guru

#3 [url]

May 1, 2013 15:57:15

A VPS is much better yes - if you can afford it. For lightweight bots these little devices make for a very cheap and efficient dedicated server that you can just hook-up to your router and forget, that said, if you're not familiar with linux or need something with more power then an old desktop or laptop pc is much easier to use. Your home pc might be switched on all the time anyway - but having a dedicated box is much better if you want to become familiar with using remote equipment, have a shared pc, want a wired connection, etc

I got my pogoplug back out of the box and fired it up the other day, had a play around with it. I put my current live C bot on it for fun - turned out to be a bit expensive, not sure whether it was a subtle hardware difference, slower network, or random chance. Anyway, the novelty quickly wore off and it's back in its box now !

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#4 [url]

May 1, 2013 16:22:50

There are some decent VPS servers about nowadays for not much money. I'm paying £12 a month which is probably cheaper than the electric bill for running a PC 24/7.

I'm currently resisting the Raspberry Pi and similar devices but will no doubt own one at some point in the future. But I'm not looking at them for botting purposes, I'm more interested in using one to control the CNC milling machine I'm working on in my cellar/workshop. But at the moment, they're not really powerful enough so I'm using my old AMD 3000+ PC for the time being.

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

countdacash

rookie botter

#5 [url]

May 2, 2013 07:00:24

If you are into the Linux/Python model, then the Pi does mimic pretty accurately the setup on a VPS so you can experiment more easily without having to admin a remote server.

I have actually moved my one now from the drawer to the desk and intend to try and get a live bot running soon within the home environment. I have noticed with my VPS bot, the data usage is minimal so I'm also thinking about the possibility of a 3G dongle connection - not sure on reliability of this long term. If you did this, then you could make a battery backed home bot that would be resilient to power outages - or then again maybe just pay the £10 a month for a hosted VPS..................

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#6 [url]

May 2, 2013 19:04:20

I dunno how much those 3G dongles are, but they're probably £10+ per month which is the cost of a basic VPS. The bonus of a carefully selected VPS is obviously the 100mb+ line speed and the <20ms response time which can't be rivalled by ANY internet connection outside of London.

Another alternative to the Rpi is one of those £80 tablets you see all over eBay. I imagine you could setup Android as a bot environment and more than likely install some flavour of Linux on them as well?

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help