Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

Lead

August 1, 2013 16:22:10

Tags : :

Had an email from Betfair today to tell me that their new JSON API-NG is now live to the public. Must confess that I'm surprised they have released it so quickly as they are normally slack-arsed with software releases and bug fixes.

Personally, I haven't bothered much with the new API. I was given a Beta testing key months ago but a few hours of coding proved that the API (at that time) was absolutely useless and wasn't able to place bets or handle its own login sessions. I still have little interest in "upgrading" (more of a sideways step in my opinion) but noticed this little gem on the website:

https://api.developer.betfair.com/services/webapps/docs/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3835102
"Access to API-NG will free charge until the 1st November. We’ll announce further details regarding the API-NG pricing scheme later in 2013"

So I'm assuming they will be getting rid of the FREE API and everyone will have to pay. Although they haven't released the pricing information yet, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a "pay as you go" setup...the more data you use, the more you have to pay. There will most likely be some sort of annual charge for the "super user" but don't be surprised if it costs £500+....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

cran

bot addict

#1 [url]

August 2, 2013 19:07:27

Hopefully charges will be deducted from PC, then it would still be effectively free.

I'm sure they said that the existing API would be supported for at least 18 months, which I assume means it's free for at least 18 months, but who knows...

Obviously if you are making a profit with a bot there is no point turning it off, you just pay up the extra 2K or whatever it is and make less profit... it's still profit, but it is getting to be a real pain in the arse giving up so much of my profits back to BF, especially after they took away most (80%+) of my profits with cross matching in the first place...

Shame I didn't start 10 years earlier and build up a decent size bank before they started screwing everyone over.

Having said that, unfortunately I still make more from BF than Betdaq...  

Suppose I better get back to coding the new Betdaq bot (this adds to my motivation to figure something out on BD) and see if I can get anything more out of their markets.

No plans to do anything with the BF API-NJ until it's been going a while and the pricing is set.

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#2 [url]

August 3, 2013 12:25:37

Yes, will be interesting to see how long API6 will be supported. There are a LOT of commercial softwares and bots out there which will have to be re-written. My concern is that they're once again a bit slow on the uptake and that JSON over HTTP is 5 year old technology that will soon be replaced by streaming APIs or similar technology.

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

pic

bot addict

#3 [url]

August 5, 2013 12:01:17

hmmm, isn't it that the new API is used now by their own website too? (rich html client <- json API -> server)?
A bot is not so different from a normal web usage in that case, so I think that the new API should not cost more than owning a beftair accout (which I hope / think will always be free) as long as you stay within some usage limits.

Therefore I think that a base usage of the API will always be free, the worst case is that the usage limits will be so low to make impossible to run a strategy bot for free ...

My 2 cents.

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#4 [url]

August 5, 2013 16:28:52

That's an interesting point...the website has been using JSON for a few years now. I wonder how the website JSON compares to the official JSON API? I imagine they're very closely related. I've noticed a bit of a trend over the years, where the website always gets priority and often sees updates month or years ahead of the API. It was also rumoured at one time that if you hammered a both servers with a place bets request during a suspended market, that the website would accept the bet a few milliseconds before the API when the market re-opened. Dunno how true that is though...never tried it.

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

vonnch

rookie botter

#5 [url]

September 27, 2014 16:06:39

At the end of the day, it's just business for them. I mean, they lure users onto using it then charge them up when it's ripe for the picking. image

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help