Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

Lead

August 26, 2013 13:38:13

Tags : :

Just out of interest, can any of you recommend some web hosting companies? I've had my website on a free host (000webhost) for a few years but have had some email issues and have been told that my website is regularly unreachable. How true that is, I don't know...

Have currently moved it to the domain holders freeola.com and have paid £19.76 for 3 months' "VIP" hosting and email. The website doesn't generate much income...certainly not enough to cover hosting costs, so ideally I'm looking for something cheap but reliable.

I guess the other option is to host the site on the VPS server I use for botting, but I'm concerned that it would make the server more vulnerable to attack.

Suggestions please...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

#3 [url]

August 30, 2013 15:05:08

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered AWS! That OVH also looks cheap for bth web hosting and VPS/Dedicated servers. Do you have experience with them? Are they reliable?

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

bogorman

rookie botter

#4 [url]

August 31, 2013 10:43:21

i've not used ovh yet but i did get a server in the sale so i will start using it for something soon. they are one of the biggest hosts in the world so i think they are fairly reliable. if your stuff fits on the free micro instance i'd go with that. 

Quote    Reply   

bogorman

rookie botter

#6 [url]

August 31, 2013 13:32:03

the micro instance is a 1 cpu "free for the first year" small instance on AWS. when you setup the box there are different tiers of machines so if you want more compute you pay for it. its a linux box so you can run whatever you want. if your bot can run in memory and wont hit the disk much then yea it would be fine. the disks are fairly slow in AWS. i had mine running on AWS for a while but because i used ruby i need a fairly beefy instance to get the performance i want so it was cheaper for me to switch over to run on a dedicated machine. 

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#7 [url]

August 31, 2013 14:46:33

Thanks for clarifying that. I've briefly skimmed over the EC2 T&C's and it seems a bit more complicated to setup than a standard VPS. It's probably a familiarity thing.

At the moment, I'm highly tempted to try OVH's basic £5.99 a month VPS and use it for both web hosting (via nginx) and botting (via Python scripts). I normally lock down the VPS by using SSH keys, disabling password login, disabling root login, etc which should also help to secure an nginx server.

Are there any potential pitfalls of combining the 2 services in one VPS?

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

bogorman

rookie botter

#8 [url]

August 31, 2013 15:13:07

I think it all comes down to free resources on the box and if the box has enough to run both then i'd give it a go with both and see how it goes.

Quote    Reply   

cran

bot addict

#9 [url]

August 31, 2013 15:27:41

The OVH VPS's aren't in the UK as far as I can tell fromn their web site... make sure it's not in France.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

#10 [url]

August 31, 2013 16:13:00

That's a good point...I hadn't thought about betfair blocking IP addresses from none-gambling countries. Looks like OVH offer "geolocatable" servers but are limited to 9 countries, of which Europe includes Frankfurt, Madrid, Milan and Paris. https://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-low-latency.xml

I haven't ran a traceroute to betfair's api servers lately, but I remember there was a time when connections got routed via Germany. I think it was a temporary thing.

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#11 [url]

August 31, 2013 21:31:42

To quote an email from Betfair:

"There are current total restrictions on France, South Africa, Turkey, and USA. With certain restrictions in Australia, Bulgaria, China, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Italy, and Spain"

So that's basically restrictions of some kind on all of the above mentioned servers.

Surely AWS suffers the same problems, being USA based??

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

bogorman

rookie botter

#12 [url]

September 1, 2013 00:11:26

For AWS they have multiple regions so you can choose Europe which is based in Dublin and i've used that to connect to betfair with no issues. 

Quote    Reply   

pic

bot addict

#13 [url]

September 2, 2013 20:07:26

yes, with AWS you can choose the region, I know for sure that it does not work for botting using the USA regions but I've always thought that it would have worked from Dublin and I like to read that bogorman confirms it.

AWS is a very cool service but I would not use it neither for botting not for your web site because VPS are usually cheaper for this kind of requirement: an instance running 24x7 which uses almost always the same amount of resources. (at least some times ago when I did the calculation, I know that AWS have lowered some prices recently, so it could be competitive now)

Regarding having both bots and web sites on the same VPS / instance:
I do like that because it is cheaper and the resource consumption of my web sites is insignificant but it is for sure less safe. Afaik, most of the attacks come through the web server / web applications, so if you have your bots on a different machine than your web sites, I would say that they are more secure.

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#14 [url]

September 3, 2013 23:09:25

I wonder if it's possible to somehow split a VPS so that even if the website was compromised, the hacker would not be able to access our bots? Maybe it can be sandboxed or encrypted or run from a VM inside the VPS?

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

pic

bot addict

#15 [url]

September 4, 2013 17:02:25

@birchy
it might work but honestly I do not think it is worth the hassle :)
Go for two VPS if you are so concerned about security, or put everything in on VPS if you want to save money, my 2 cents.

Quote    Reply   

cran

bot addict

#16 [url]

September 4, 2013 18:16:20

I pay £6 a month for web hosting (10 domains and unlimited disk space, unlimited email accounts, spam filter and backups) and £17.99 for VPS.

Why combine them for the sake of  20p a day?

Quote    Reply   

jimmybob

rookie botter

#18 [url]

September 9, 2013 11:19:55

I currently use the web host 'Nearly Free Speech', https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ for personal websites and I am very happy with it.

Billing is 'pay for what you use', for both disk space and bandwidth.  For personal websites which need less than a gigabyte of disk space and use a small amount of bandwidth, this can work out to be very economical,   i.e. < 1$ per month is normal. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help