Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

Lead

September 30, 2013 19:18:41

Tags : :

This weird new forum layout is not my doing. It was totally unexpected and has been changed by the hosts (Lefora) without warning. No doubt we'll (HAVE TO?) get used to it... image
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

#1 [url]

September 30, 2013 20:01:48

OK, I've had a fiddle (ooo-err) and think it looks a bit easier to read now. Still prefer the old forum though...

Quote    Reply   

cran

bot addict

#2 [url]

October 1, 2013 08:59:37

Dunno what fonts they are using, but it doesn't work well on my screen... 

Maybe I can change them.

Edit: It was my monitor... all fixed now... image

Last Edited By: cran October 1, 2013 10:36:39. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

pic

bot addict

#3 [url]

October 1, 2013 19:45:09

You're right, there seems to be a load of extra features which *could* be quite useful but they've been implemented so badly it's a joke. The forum doesn't see much action nowadays, so I'm in two minds whether to move it elsewhere, archive it or just delete it...

OH FFS, sorry Pic, I've somehow managed to Edit (and lose!) your post while attempting to reply with a quote!

AAAAAAARRRGHH!

Why couldn't they leave the forum alone?

Last Edited By: birchy October 4, 2013 18:39:29. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

pic

bot addict

#6 [url]

October 7, 2013 20:41:48

I like google groups, you can use it as a mailing list or a forum, it is free, it can be public or private, etc.
Only problem is that google could kill it in the evil plan to sacrifice everything in order to push g+ adoption.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

#8 [url]

October 11, 2013 14:49:40

I think it's time to start a new forum, particularly as Betfair's API-6 will become obsolete in a year or so and (more so!) because Lefora have managed to make a complete fuck-up of the software.

Google has interesting solutions, but seem a bit prone to the "big brother" approach. Or maybe I'm just too pessimistic. Having done some research, it seems that MyBB is the most popular (free) forum software, so I'll probably look at that. Not sure about hosting yet, easiest option is to add a forum to my website, unless someone can recommend free hosting/forums/etc? I'm not an I.T. guy, so all info is welcomed!

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

pic

bot addict

#9 [url]

October 14, 2013 11:18:23

as I've already written, I would go 100% with google groups, with the hope they will keep alive it for long. I would not be much concerned about their "big brother" attitude.
I would also recommend you *against* installing your own forum platform and have then to handle with all the hassle to update it, keep it safe, etc., etc.
So, if not google, any other one of the free forum service you may find on the Internet, like those mentioned above for example.

Wherever you decide to go, I will follow. I am also planning to start using the API-NG in the "near" future, compatibly with the few time I have for botting.
Ciao

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#10 [url]

October 14, 2013 23:06:00

TBH, I don't know much about Google groups but a quick search suggests they're more of a message board rather than a forum and (apparently) the search engines don't index Google groups? Most , if not all, of our members have found this website via search engines, so the none-indexing thing is a concern. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I've just paid for 2 years hosting for my own website with Vidahost (who were highly recommended on many "pro" forums), and notice they have have a lot of one-click installations such as PHPBB, MyBB, Simple Machines Forum, Wordpress, etc. It seems logical to simply add a forum to my website and have everything under one roof. But the maintenance side of things is a concern, particularly security...if that's actually an issue?

I'm still open to suggestions, particularly for any free forums...but they seem to be few and far between. Or at least ones with no adverts...

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

pic

bot addict

#11 [url]

October 15, 2013 20:40:06

yes, google group is a sort of merge beetween a message board and a forum and that is exactly the reason because I like it. I think it is indexed by search engines, unless your group is private.

Have you looked at the ones suggested by cran and bogorman?
forumfree may be another option: http://www.forumfree.it/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help