Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

Lead

October 11, 2013 16:11:14

Tags : :

I'll start the ball rolling...I first discovered flutter.com in 2000, who were then taken over by Betfair in 2001. I played around with various strategies and started learning VB6 programming in 2003 when I decided to automate some ideas. By 2008 I was thoroughly fed up of all things Micro$haft and started using Ubuntu Linux as my sole operating system. Nowadays I use Linux Mint and can heartily recommend it as an upgrade from Windows. The move to Linux meant a new programming language (VB6 was already unsupported anyway) and after a lot of testing, I settled for Python which also happens to be natively installed on most version of Linux.In 2011 I finally found a consistently winning bot strategy and have since discovered several others. Although I'm not making enough to give up working, the extra income IS starting to pay for all those years of sleepless nights. I guess you need a LOT of patience to be successful.
I currently have more strategy ideas than I have time to program. When I say "currently" I mean since 2001. There are just soooo many betting combinations and so little time...

"This time next year, Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Last Edited By: birchy October 11, 2013 20:05:03. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

gbettle

rookie botter

#1 [url]

01 October 2012 04:57

Howdy all,

Hope this finds everyone well.

Ex-pat Canadian here, since 1990. Now spend my time between Denmark (family) and London (filthy lucre). Since 2006, I've been involved in Horse Racing for a sports trading company in North London. This wasn't a Bookie - we had one client, a syndicate. And we initially only bet on Betfair (later we added BetDaq). Added Greyhounds to my quiver circa 2008, so eventually, I was in charge of the Beasts; gathering\analysing results and - after collaborating with colleagues - programming models & bots (a mix of Visual Foxpro and Python) to place bets on the Exchanges.

Traded on 8 sports in total, the company collapsed September 2011 after Betfair's Premium charge was increased. At the moment I'm working in Fashion (LOL!) and the GGs are now a side-line to the regular income. However, it's very much in my blood and, with 25 courses visited, it's still very much an interest.

Quote    Reply   

tomfla

rookie botter

#2 [url]

01 October 2012 07:09

Around three years ago I read an article on NOTW (I didn't buy the rag, a friend did) about some guy claiming to have won 16million in the previous 12 months laying favourites on Betfair. Around the same time I was getting paycuts and mortgage hikes every other month and this tweaked my interest. Its not like I thought I'd do what he was doing but I opened a betfair account and started looking at results.

Slowly but surely I got educated and heartbroken but I'm too thick to quit. I spent hours, like I presume most others, downloading results and having another go at a new system. I'm not looking to make a fortune but this is a labour of love that I hope will start to return a small profit and ease the domestic bills.

I'm now nearing common sense and a possible earner. Or maybe I'm on the cusp of learning another lesson... 

Quote    Reply   

theshadow

rookie botter

#3 [url]

03 February 2013 09:47 AM

Hello everyone

Ive been on betfair since about 2003 trying all sorts of weird and wonderful approaches. Ironically the best period i had was when my wife saw me betting and asked why i was wasting time looking at this, analysing that and she said let me take over. Im sure she was just putting random bets on but we (she) manged to turn £500 into £15,000 in three months  at the start of 2007 ..... £10k of which i promptly lost on two tennis matches .... so she told me to withdraw the rest and let her spend it leaving me with £500 .... think i got off lightly there!!

Ever since then ive been trying to recreate that and i've ventured into trying to automate a couple of strategies i have. Im using a n off the shelf bot to place straight bets but would like to have a go at creating my own and this forum seems like a great start.

Myself, i am an economics graduate who somehow became a chartered accountant and my current job is accounting for hedge funds ..... hopefully i can use my brain to master this programming lark.

Quote    Reply   

bfredbango

rookie botter

#4 [url]

17 March 2013 05:00 AM

Hi All,

I've recently started learning Python and stumbled across this forum and birchy's excellent source code while I was researching the Betfair API.

Like everyone else, I'm in the process of researching and optimising automated strategies.

Quote    Reply   

snooki

rookie botter

#5 [url]

17 March 2013 05:14 AM

Hello all,
have been more or less involved with exchange strategies for about 15 years, mostly Futures Markets but finding
it very hard to gain a proper edge there. Betfair on the other hand seem full of possibilities since i discoverd it about 6 years ago. I have first written some tools to speed up calculating ordersizes/prices and then discoverd the nice thread by mumbles in the BFDevelopersforum about the BF API with lots of code in VB.NET. using that as a building block i created a really helpful tool that looks and feels a bit like geekstoy (although the toy has 100x more features). My tool now serves me in day to day trading as extremly fast calculation and order tool.The bigger plan is to use the structure of my tool as a framework to "plug in" different strategies for automatic trading.Unfortunatley i'm not a professional programmer so its a bit of a lengthy process to actually turning the ideas into codeform.
Also just learning Python as a motivation to keep on coding ( with the idea of the new API beeing around the corner and having to recode all the work that has been completed)
glad to have found this "little" forum which seems to have a few people onboard with very similar ideas to my own.

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#6 [url]

17 March 2013 10:50 AM

Welcome to the forum guys and gals. That's assuming that, statistically, we must have at least one female member? Please feel free to ask questions and share some thoughts and ideas as it's often good to put all our "sharp minds" together.

@snooki: Thanks for reminding me about the VB tutorial on BDP. I'll put a link to that in the source code section. Tackling Python is probably a wise thing to do as I'm currently testing the new JSON API and Betfair seem to be using Python for most of their examples.

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

jakob

rookie botter

#7 [url]

23 March 2013 08:27 PM

Hey guys,

I'm a pretty new chap here. And thought I'd best introduce myself.
Little about myself; I'm about to graduate with a Masters in Computer Science and off to work in finance in London town as a developer. I first became interested in bookies and gambling about a year ago when I made a little bit of pocket money from match betting. I've never been a random gambler, but have always loved seeing at ways of exploiting the system a little bit. That's why I got interested in this forum. I've been involved in modelling markets using agent-based simulation for a year and a bit now, so basically I've built dumb Bot's in a simulation and I want to see if I can apply my skills a bit more to the real world and build myself some Betfair bots to get some more pocket money. Althought reading through a lot of posts here about how long (and how much) some people have spent to make a positive return doesn't fill me with too much confidence :P. I suppose I'll give it a shot when I get the time to knock something up (and enough cash in my bank to try and experiment with)!

Jak

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#8 [url]

23 March 2013 08:46 PM

Jakob: welcome to the forums. If you've been studying game theory and learning techniques, then you might find success in a much shorter time than someone like me who barely scraped GCSE maths. Having said that, it's all too easy to over-complicate things as well.

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

jakob

rookie botter

#9 [url]

24 March 2013 10:23 AM

Hey, Yea I'm currently doing some research on game theory and auction behaviour. Although as you say, it does seem the most simple things always seem to work the best :P

Quote    Reply   

mrchameleon

rookie botter

#10 [url]

25 March 2013 03:13 AM

Hello everyone

I have a varied (chequered?) career history: funds management, futures local, software developer (horse-racing syndicate), investment banker, funds manager (again), HFT software developer, funds management software developer. What's next?

I betfair-bot-bet on Australian Rules Football for a hobby and have been modestly profitable for 3 years. I have written my own C# bot but for this season I am hacking Birchy's python api. This message is mostly to say, "Thanks Birchy!".

Best regards from sunny Australia

Chris

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

#11 [url]

26 March 2013 02:55 PM

Welcome to the forum. It's good to have some "technical" guys on board.

I have a varied (chequered?) career history: funds management, futures local, software developer (horse-racing syndicate), investment banker, funds manager (again), HFT software developer, funds management software developer. What's next?

-mrchameleon

Something related to fund management, perhaps?

I have written my own C# bot but for this season I am hacking Birchy's python api. This message is mostly to say, "Thanks Birchy!".

-mrchameleon

Glad my library is being put to good use!

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

factotum

rookie botter

#12 [url]

21 April 2013 09:44 AM

Hi Birchy and fellow bettors and in my case would be programmers.

I don't know python, javascript, node.js, restful apis, http, wsdl or anything else currently in vogue with writing software to interface with Betfair... But, (hopefully with help from the forum) I intend to learn quickly and put my ideas into practice.

I am not a trader or scalper type of bettor I subscribe to the statistical approach to betting, i.e. cycles of results and patterns. To this end I have developed my favourite strategies which I dry tested over about two years now and I know they are profitable. The trouble is that to use them manually you need to be in front of the computer and even then human error can intervene and usually on a winner, ho hum...

So, I need to automate my ideas and test them in real time with small stakes and prove my stop loss and take profit ideas, etc.
I know there are tools like gruss out there but I am very protective of my ideas and also a bit OCD when it comes to controlling what and how I do something.

Having said that I am not a programmer as such I do work as a software expert but these days more of a systems analyst. I use various 4GL database related development tools on the Windows platform and to a great extent I suppose you could consider me to be a bit of a dinosaur, albeit one that wants to escape the looming comet and evolve technically :)

So, I hope that brings you up to speed as to where I come from and want to get to, and I hope that this is the start of mutually beneficial social interaction. I certainly intend to help out wherever I can.

Paul :)

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#13 [url]

21 April 2013 10:31 AM

Welcome to the forum Paul. I can understand you wanting to protect your strategies, it's only natural. I believe that a small number of members are using this forum to sell their commercial apps, so be wary of any enthusiastic PM's recommending some software that requires a monthly payment.

I think Python is a great scripting language and have found it very productive and easy to learn. But I am biased. I also dislike Windows, but that's a different topic.

You'll probably benefit by starting here: http://diybetfairbots.lefora.com/forum/category/members-only-source-code

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

factotum

rookie botter

#14 [url]

21 April 2013 10:46 AM

Thanks Birchy, I appreciate it.

When I was very young my dad took me to a Chelsea match (60s) and I am fairly sure there was an Alan Birchenal playing then, if not, then certainly in the 70s - Any link or relationship there? given that footballers like a flutter

Paul

Quote    Reply   

factotum

rookie botter

#16 [url]

21 April 2013 10:58 AM

One other thing, having linked to the first of your suggested links and browsing "Using the API" I notice that you avoid using SOAP - Don't worry, no dirty jokes in the pipeline, so, given that Betfair are introducing a new restful api - does this mean that should we develop something with your library that in a relatively short period of time we will have to rewrite?

It is not a problem, just want to be aware...

Regards,

Paul

Quote    Reply   

factotum

rookie botter

#17 [url]

21 April 2013 11:04 AM

Just as well, being an Ealing boy, for my sins and currently this season to my great dismay I support QPR

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#18 [url]

21 April 2013 11:32 AM

given that Betfair are introducing a new restful api - does this mean that should we develop something with your library that in a relatively short period of time we will have to rewrite?

-factotum

That would be applicable to ALL libraries that are currently available as the new JSON based API is still very much in development at betfair's end and nowhere near public release. Betfair are saying that they will support API6 (current Soap version) for at least 18 months after releasing the JSON API. Given that they have been "working on" the JSON API for a few years now, I would estimate that the current API6 libraries will be in service for at least another 2 years, and more realistically 3 or 4.

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

countdacash

rookie botter

#19 [url]

25 April 2013 04:59 PM

Hi All,

Despite my forum name there is not much to count but you live in hope. I'm using Birchy's Python API to experiment with automated betting on Betfair. I've set up a VPS and got it running through a lot of trial and error but still feeling my way.

I'm learning Python having programmed a lot in C (years ago) and am growing to like it a lot.

The dream for me is to be able to generate a small(ish) revenue stream that I can add to other streams, however like a lot of people I'm still looking out for a good strategy which I can then code up.

Cheers
Richard

Quote    Reply   

chumby

rookie botter

#20 [url]

15 June 2013 01:10 AM

Hi all,

Just joined the forum... looking forward to getting into the conversations.  I'm from Tasmania, Australia.

Been punting for ages, on Betfair for sometime, and know a little programming...

Keen to learn more, especially in regards to Python, and see if I can write a successful bot or two!

Cheers
Chumby.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help