Remove this ad

guiness

rookie botter

Lead

October 22, 2013 15:30:44

Tags : :

Hi guys,

Would anyone know where I can get the bookmakers/industrial odds prices for all horse races since say 2010, just before the off?
[not Betfair data]

Recently I have been scraping it, but I only have a month worth of data.

I've sent emails to a number of betting companies, but so far the answer has been no.

thank-you very much!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

cran

bot addict

#2 [url]

October 24, 2013 14:46:00

Scrape it from the Betfair/Timeform results pages (It has both BSP and ISP and I guess you want ISP)

You need to loop through the result pages for each date and then loop through each race.

Use the url format: http://form.horseracing.betfair.com/daypage?date=YYYYMMDD (from 20100101 to 20131023) to get the daily result pages.

Then on each page loop through all the race result page a href urls that are in the GB & Ireland section (if that's all you want)

Then on each result page scrape the fields you want (ISP) for each horse and stick in a database or spreadsheet or whatever.

You could also get it from Racing Post (and others) in a similar way.

Last Edited By: cran October 24, 2013 14:48:18. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

JayBee

rookie botter

#3 [url]

October 25, 2013 12:13:27

Yes, scraping off a results site is what I did too.

10 years off the Racing Post. Scraped odds, times, weights, the lot for a study of speed ratings.

Initially as a comma delineated file, now as an mdb file that I can access using SQL. Although now I solely do technical trading.

You could buy the data from someone like Racing System Builder which I did back in 1996 but we've come a long way since then.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

guiness

rookie botter

#4 [url]

October 25, 2013 13:47:47

hi guys, thanks for your reply.. some more questions..!

1) Birchy, yes it was the bookie's prices not the SP - there must be lodes of punters who have been scraping this information tho im hoping!

2) Cran, wow great idea, I had a look. very interesting, yes would be quite straighforward to scrape this.. The only thing is, the SP is the price immediately AT the off, and is not known until race commences (if I am correct).. my system needs to know the data before the race starts, anythng from a few secs to a few mins before will do, it uses that to help filter yousee.
This timeform information could still be great to scrape for other uses and thanks for making me aware  just it won't solve my problem of prices before the off, would you happen to have any other suggestions?!

3) JayBee,  I did a google search for 'racing System Builder' I had lots of hits just not what I think you were referring to. Would you be able to provide the link? would be really helpful thank-you!  When you mention about data you have scrapped, did you scrape the NON-SP prices? and was that eg every minute of the dat or at set times eg 30 secs before offical off time etc? Would be able to throw some money your way for the bookie prices. We have all the other data.. or I could offer you some of our data in return (I'll have to speak with the guy I'm working with)

Quote    Reply   

JayBee

rookie botter

#5 [url]

October 25, 2013 15:27:35

3) JayBee,  I did a google search for 'racing System Builder' I had lots of hits just not what I think you were referring to. Would you be able to provide the link? would be really helpful thank-you!  When you mention about data you have scrapped, did you scrape the NON-SP prices? and was that eg every minute of the dat or at set times eg 30 secs before offical off time etc? Would be able to throw some money your way for the bookie prices. We have all the other data.. or I could offer you some of our data in return (I'll have to speak with the guy I'm working with)

I should think that RSB no longer exists or has passed into new ownership since I bought the data in the mid-nighties.

Now, that I understand your requirement more clearly. I would say that my data scraping is different. You appear to want to build a timeseries of bookmaker prices, which I do not have.

I don't think historical bookmaker prices would be available in time-series form. You could build your own by taking the XML feed from those bookmakers who provide it and build your own but that would be starting from now and no earlier.

For what reason would you want historical bookmaker timeseries'. I have done a lot of work on market efficiency and might provide you with a short-cut along the lines of "barking up the wrong tree" or "that might work".

If you are looking at pure arbitrage then I would refer you to the first answer. For stat arbs or something else then maybe the second.

Quote    Reply   

guiness

rookie botter

#6 [url]

October 25, 2013 18:05:46

hey JayBee, thanks for your quick reply.
I'm not actually arbing, although a steam of prices would be useful, really what I most need is literally a well known bookie price just before the off, eg Ladbrokes price would work etc..

e.g.
Kempton  2012-04-24 13:59:59   Fat Bastard Horse   5-1 
Kempton  2012-04-24 13:59:59   Inglorious Bastard   8-1
Windsor   2012-04-23  18:59:59  Ching Chong China  5/4

etc..even  just one price for one horse would be amazing

The XML feed is an interesting idea for future reference, tho as you say, its the historical data I need.. I have several years worth of other data and just need to link it too bookie price now :)  any suggestions?!

Thanks very much, your comments have been appreciated!

Last Edited By: guiness October 25, 2013 18:10:53. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help