Remove this ad

Golfer

rookie botter

Lead

December 5, 2013 15:55:04

Tags : :

So many options, dare I even say too many ;-)

Looking to run initially via a VM and then potentially dual boot.

Should I be looking towards one of the big desktop replacements (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) despite not needing most of the functionality or a stripped back distro that will run better on VM but has a steeper learning curve?

Is there a middle ground? What are you guys using?

Thanks,
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

#3 [url]

December 14, 2013 21:41:22

Ubuntu is pretty bloaty and buggy nowadays. My personal choice is Linux Mint Debian Edition: http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Currently running the XFCE desktop, although they no longer have an official release. The MATE desktop is not too bad. Straight Debian is pretty good too: http://www.debian.org/CD/. Of those, I prefer either the LXDE desktop but that's just a personal preference. The reason I choose Debian based versions is because it is designed to be stable and is often used for web servers. It won't have the bleeding edge software installed by default, but anything you need will be available in the 40,000-odd apps available in the software manager and repositories.

For a beginner, LMDE is probably a good place to start. The main Mint version is based on Ubuntu so will inherit the bloat...

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

jimmybob

rookie botter

#4 [url]

December 17, 2013 11:30:10

I can second Linux Mint.  Have used it for a while now after having used various other distros previously (Ubuntu, Fedora).

As birchy mentions, the 'bloat' can be tempered by using a lightweight window manager such as XFCE, LDXE etc.  These will have slicker performance on older hardware and VMs.

Quote    Reply   

guiness

rookie botter

#5 [url]

January 4, 2014 20:18:05

I can 3rd Linux Mint

Hi, I started using Linux Mint 1 year ago..  I havent had much experience of Linux before, found this to be pretty good..

I'm using the Mint based on Ubunt rather than Debian as I heard it was slightly easier for a newcomer.

P.s. it takes a little while to learn Linux shell...
installing new applications is a pain in the ass sometimes,
but I much prefer it than Windows now
If you can, do 1 hour Linux shell tutorials every day.. after 3 months you will be real comfortable with basic linux..
Just stick with it mate, it will come to you :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

fontwrap

rookie botter

#6 [url]

June 29, 2015 13:33:04

Linux isn't very user friendly

For years I've been desperate to find a replacement for Windows.

I tried several versions of Linux but gave up because of lack of device drivers.

Now, at last I've loaded Debian 8 onto a fresh machine.

When I tried to download skype it said "Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'
When I tried to download Teamviewer it said "Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'
When I tried to download Chrome it said "Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'

Python works!!!!

Does anybody know why it won't run Skype, Teamviewer or Chrome?

Quote    Reply   

myrddin

bot addict

#7 [url]

June 29, 2015 16:44:03

Sounds like you've got 64-bit Debian and are trying to install 32-bit versions of these applications.

Last time I checked, skype only shipped 32-bit .debs, so you will have to install multi-arch support for debian. (This can be a pain, especially if you have limited experience - don't bother unless you really can't live without it)

Chrome, unlike Skype, is made by grown-ups; just download the 64-bit version from https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb and install.

I have no experience with Teamviewer, but it looks like they also ship a 64-bit version (http://download.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_amd64.deb).

Quote    Reply   

fontwrap

rookie botter

#8 [url]

June 29, 2015 19:39:51

Linux problems

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I've got 64 bit Linux Debian. I'm having trouble with the basics at the moment so I'll leave multi-arch support for another day.

I tried Skype first because it's a program that has been around for a long time, When I had trouble with Skype I moved on to Chrome (an established program that was written by professionals). When that failed I was perplexed so I decided to try Teamviewer. At least then I would be able to get someone else to check my installation.

When that wouldn't work either I posted a question on the forum to get some help. The problems that I am experiencing are very frustrating but I won't give in because I'm very keen to get my bot working again.

Regards,

Paul

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#9 [url]

June 29, 2015 20:16:16

Linux Mint would probably be a better choice for a beginner. Debian is a bit more 'hardcore' and requires a reasonable Linux knowledge to set up. It is also more minimal than other distros, so is not the most suitable for newbies.

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

fontwrap

rookie botter

#10 [url]

June 29, 2015 21:49:03

Linux!!!

Thanks Birchy,

I will uninstall Debian and Install Mint in it's place.

Linux is probably very flexible and I'm sure it will work well if I put a LOT of effort into overcoming its quirks. The main strength of Windows is IT WORKS.

I've got a program to write and I don't want to waste time messing about with an awkward operating system.

** Rant over **

I am grateful for all the help I get. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help