Remove this ad

tomfla

rookie botter

Lead

September 12, 2012 11:14:05

Tags : :

Hi guys,
I'm after sourcing a bot builder who delivered a bot as he said he would. He didn't charge too much and seemed genuine in making sure I was happy.

Now that I am running the bot it doesn;t seem to be too quick. Is this more likely to be a reflection on the builder or are all excel bot a little on the slow side. I was using a programme called betminder (no longer available) and I had no trouble with it. I do a lot of in-play gambling so I need it to be 100%.

Does anyone here have a claim to being a top bot builder or any advice on who I should contact or what route I should go down (excel bot,licensed programme etc)

I would greatly appreciate any help as I'm new to all of this and technically naive.

Thanks,
Tom.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

birchy

Betfair Elite

#1 [url]

September 16, 2012 11:54:28

I would greatly appreciate any help as I'm new to all of this and technically naive
-tomfla

To be honest, this isn't the right forum to be asking such questions: http://diybetfairbots.lefora.com/2012/09/02/posting-guidelines/

Your question is a bit vague, so is difficult to answer. Personally, I would suggest that you either contact your bot developer or consider using a commercial software which will be fully supported.

Regarding actual "speed", it's fairly difficult to program a "slow" bot (unless the developer is a complete novice) as it will spend most of its life waiting for data to travel across the internet, so obviously internet response time is a major factor. If you are running the bot from home, I would suggest that you are 100% positive that you don't have a "slow" internet connection before blaming the software. If you are a UK resident, avoid all "budget" ISPs such as TalkTalk, Tiscali, Sky, BT, Plusnet, Orange, O2, etc. And beware of speed vs ping time if you are botting. You need the fastest possible ping time so that your bot will have a short find bet -> place bet turnaround. So given these two packages:

20Mb line speed, 60ms ping time
16Mb line speed, 25ms ping time

You should go for the 16Mb package every single time. Basically, you need to consider any ISP that is popular with the hardcore gamers. This site is an excellent ISP guide: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php

To check your ping speed: http://www.speedtest.net/index.php. Mine is 28ms from home and just about usable for testing bots. Ideally, you need a ping speed below 25ms to be competitive and less than 20ms to be "fast".

As you are probably aware, the Free API is restricted to 60 refreshes per minute (or 120 if you combine similar functions) but that should be adequate for most purposes providing you have a fast ping speed. The subscription API costs £200 per month (or cheaper if you use a commercial software as the cost is split over number of customers) and although it will gave you up to 20 refreshes per second, without a fast find bet -> place bet turnaround the speed is wasted.

www.bespokebots.com

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!"

Quote    Reply   

tomfla

rookie botter

#2 [url]

September 19, 2012 13:59:10

I tried the ping test last night two times. The first time I was in the high 600ms and the second time I was in the low 700ms. My problem now is trying to find the best provider in Ireland .
Thanks for your help.
p.s.
If anyone else on here is from my neck of the woods (Ireland) I would appreciate any suggestions.

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#3 [url]

September 22, 2012 16:30:25

Well that ping speed is definitely a problem if you are betting  in running. It wouldn't matter so much if you had a "fire and forget" type strategy but for anything else, you're looking at around 1.5 seconds delay between finding and placing a bet, by which time the bet you wanted to take will have long gone.

www.bespokebots.com

Quote    Reply   

blackmagic

bot addict

#4 [url]

September 26, 2012 09:03:52

May i ask which sports you bet on in-play?

If you want to be quick a VPS is the only way to go. That way you are on gigabit connection and not one a slow home based one. You can easily get < 20ms doing that. Something else to note is your connection to bf is not doing the same thing as a ping as you are using a tcp connection. You have to do a few software tricks to get this quick. I would assume the free api takes care of this. 

You spend some time reading the all of the posts on this site. There is a lot of information on here as to the things you are interested in. It will give you some guidance as to the right questions to ask.

Quote    Reply   

tomfla

rookie botter

#5 [url]

September 26, 2012 11:18:10

So you reckon my ping speed might be a lot slower than my connection to Betfair.

Also I bet on horse racing which is a quick changing market, hence my search for speed. I've had a look around here but didn't find what I was looking for. I'll have another look. I thought if I started this thread and generated a discussion it would be useful forthe next person in my position.

Thanks for all the help.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

blackmagic

bot addict

#7 [url]

September 26, 2012 13:10:00

If you search you will also find an interesting post by birchy in regards to how he got into betting and why he will no longer build bots for other people. Long story short, they take a lot of effort and they are hard enough to build for yourself when you know what you are doing let alone when you are doing it over the internet for someone that doesn't quite know what they want. To have one built from scratch i doubt will happen unless you learn to do it yourself or are willing to pay a lot. The alternate and this is something i never really looked at in much detail was if there is any scripting ability in some of the more commercial software offerings. i've seen stuff like this before but even this can start to cost a bit once all the licences are paid.

http://www.quantsports.co.uk/
http://bfexplorer.net/Forum.aspx/Show/249

Quote    Reply   

vonnch

rookie botter

#8 [url]

August 1, 2014 18:03:51

Is using a bot worth it? I'm asking because I see a lot of people doing this but never posted their results. image

Quote    Reply   

birchy

Betfair Elite

#9 [url]

August 3, 2014 23:20:27

vonnch wrote:
Is using a bot worth it? I'm asking because I see a lot of people doing this but never posted their results. image

ABSOLUTELY!
BUT...only if you have a profitable strategy! I've always said that creating a bot is easy...but creating a WINNING bot is a completely different ball game. Many of us have had success but for obvious reasons don't wish to share our secrets.

www.bespokebots.com

Last Edited By: birchy August 3, 2014 23:24:11. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

jimmybob

rookie botter

#10 [url]

August 5, 2014 13:55:24

I agree with birchy. A bot is simply a way to automate a strategy.

Clearly some strategies are only really feasible when automated. Using a bot means you can consider these strategies. However, if you don't need to consider strategies at these 'high frequencies', you might be better starting with 'manual' strategies (i.e. those which involve clicking on the betfair website, which would thus probably involve making only a handful of trades per day). Whether manual or automated, creating successful strategies is hard.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help